Currently accepting new clients by referral only.

Custody & Protection of Children

by individuals

Private CHIPS & TPR

It’s easy to think of CHIPS cases and termination of parental rights (TPR) cases as the exclusive territory of county social service agencies, but Minnesota statutes allow for private parties with specific legal and factual bases to file petitions as well. As a former CHIPS prosecutor, guardian ad litem, and experienced parent attorney, JLT has litigated hundreds of these cases and successfully TPR’d absent and unfit parents privately. Schedule a consultation to see if you have a case to protect your child or someone else’s.

Step-Parent Adoption

Real, blended families rarely look like “The Brady Bunch.”  When one or both parents have moved on to new relationships and families, “steps” can become as much, or more, like family than blood relatives are.  If both parents agree, having a new spouse adopt a child can be a relatively simple and happy negotiation. When it’s in a child’s best interest to be adopted by a new spouse, but the other parent won’t consent, JLT will review your options and determine whether there is a legal route around that consent, including terminating the other parent’s rights to free the child for adoption. Request a consultation to discuss your particular situation.

Third Party Custody

Much like bringing a private CHIPS or TPR case, a person who is not the parent can petition for custody of a child under certain circumstances.  Call JLT at (763) 310-7477 for a consultation to see if you have a case.

Minnesota Child Protection Lawyer

Whether your children have been removed from your home, you or your facility are under investigation by DHS or social services, or you are seeking to intervene in the child protection case of someone you care about, having an experienced CHIPS and family attorney like JLT on your team can change your case dramatically.

Don’t leave your relationship with your child in the hands of someone who is “dabbling” in a new practice area. Call JLT at (763) 310-7477 or fill out our online form to schedule a consultation and get an honest assessment of your case before the timelines expire.

Request a Consultation